Apr 20, 2011

The Fourth Station.

Crack!

Pain. Like a thousand arrows that pierce my body, it flows through my veins.

Crack!

Like a metronome.

Crack!

My knees cannot hold me up anymore. Through the haze, I can hear men talking. They whisper among themselves. They push each other, for a better view.

Crack!

Like a metronome. Why do they persist? I stumble. My leg gives way. I feel every grain of sand, every piece of rubble that claws into my knee.

It is not sweat that blinds me. Not anymore.

Crack! "Orthonomai!"

I am dragged back to my feet, I can hear men whispering. I cannot see their faces. Lightning lashes through me. Again.

They whisper my name.

Crack!

Hold me. For I cannot stand. And even as I fall they mock me.

"Basilias!"

The whispering ceases. The wall of people separates to reveal her. That face. I would recognize it anywhere.

Her hands are wet with the tears she tries to wipe off her face.

The world has suddenly gone silent.

*******

I am a child again, in the fields. Running. Falling. And even before it hurts, those hands, hold me close.

"I'm here."

"I'm hurt, mother!"

"Not anymore, I'm here."

*******

Or has it.

The hands reach out to me, through the blinding light. And they barely graze my cheek. She is pulled away.

The haze settles once more.

*******

"Not anymore, I'm here."

*******


Crack!

Like a metronome.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------


Orthonomai! : "Stand up!" (Greek)

Basilias! : "King!" (Greek)


No comments: